Monday, December 12, 2011

A Beginning Without A Story

[This is something that's been in my head for a while. I picture this as the beginning of a novel length book, with nothing that is said here becoming even remotely relevant, or even being alluded to, until much later in the book. The trouble is, I don't actually picture of much of anything else about the story.]

Before we get going, there's something I should tell you. Not because it's important for understanding the beginning of my story. It isn't. Not because I knew it at the time. I didn't. No, I have to tell you now simply because if I waited until it was important it would seem to come out of nowhere, and it's the kind of thing that you can't just have come out of nowhere. It needs some kind of warning, so I'm giving it now.

So, for the record, I'm an alien.

I don't mean that I'm from another country I was born in Lewiston, Maine and I've never ventured farther afield than Boston, Massachusetts. I've never left the country I call home and I'm definitely a citizen. I also happen to be non-human. If I understand correctly my species comes from a small planet orbiting a fast moving sun somewhere in the vicinity of the galactic core where radiation is high and space isn't quite empty, but truth be told astrophysics gives me a headache so that could be way off.

Also, I can create multipurpose balls of energy. When I make them they appear about a half an inch from my palms. Just so you know.

-

[Original Work Index]

2 comments: